Meaning of Potomac in English
Definitions1. a river in the east central United States
- « rises in West Virginia in the Appalachian Mountains and flows eastward, forming the boundary between Maryland and Virginia, to the Chesapeake Bay »
- 2. terms sometimes used to refer to Washington, D.C.
- « If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read: 'President Can't Swim.' » Lyndon B. Johnson
- « Just as there's garbage that pollutes the Potomac river, there is garbage polluting our culture. We need an Environmental Protection Agency to clean it up. » Patrick Buchanan
- « When this sad war is over we will all return to our homes, and feel that we can ask no higher honor than the proud consciousness that we belonged to the Army of the Potomac. » George B. McClellan